Monday, March 8, 2010

Art and the Quotidian Object (thoughts)

1. Why must we suppress desire in regard to art? Why must we view it in an disinterested way?
What is the point? I appreciate art that awakens desire and that I can experience with my emotions.

2. "there are 3 different types of interest: ethical, instrumental, and appetitive" p 46
While at the armory show I was asking myself what is it that attracts me to a work of art. What essence must it have to make me want to spend time with it? What is it that gives a work value?

3. "what is being described here is an art practice that tries to circumvent selfish desire, power, mastery, possessiveness_the whole complex of relations that normally governs our lives. This is called disinterestedness." p46

So maybe I have misunderstood what the author of this article meant by disinterestedness. . . I like this definition I think. . .

4. The found object is often an object that has once had a function but in the museum has been stripped of its function, or given a new function as a found object so that it becomes autonomous, separet from the world. In this way we might look at it in a new light, see it differently. But how interesting is this really? There are some cases that I find it interesting. When the artist creates a new composition with it and use the objects in a way that exhibits craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment